It seems that a lot of the people who read my blog (and I know there really aren’t many, but that’s okay. I’ll live) are Canadian. I don’t really know how this came to be, as I am as American as can be. However, I love Canada, so I decided to dedicate this post to my Canadian friends out there, Dave Letterman style (I just won’t be funny. Sorry).
Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Canada:
10. It’s clean. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. These people know how to throw away trash! My favorite line from the movie “Canadian Bacon” is “Let’s cross the border [into Toronto] and throw some trash on the ground. That’ll really tick ’em off!” (or something to that effect. Saw the movie a stinkin’ long time ago).
9. Canadians can have a major sporting event happen without having a riot following the win.
8. Hockey. I know, I know. The official sport is actually lacrosse, but I LOVE hockey! Now that is a sport. Go Flames Go!
7. Comedians and actors. Seems like a lot of the best ones come from Canada: Jim Carrey, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner… I suddenly went blank. But sit down with my husband and he can tell you.
6. Molson beer. No, I don’t drink (ever!), but I loved the “I am Canadian” commercials. Too funny.
5. Everyone says “Eh”. It’s kind of cute! After a visit up north, I always come home with an accent and saying “eh” and the end of my sentences.
4. Aero bars. And Coffee Crisp. And Nanaimo bars. And Macintosh Tofee. (I would add Junior Caramels, but now we can get them here in the States). Oh, and for Ches: Smarties and Old Dutch ketchup chips. (If anyone feels like doing a really nice thing, mail me some Canadian chocolate bars! I’ll be your best friend forever!!)
3. Boxing Day sales. Between the sale prices and the exchange rate, I have scored some amazing deals!!
2. The music! Of course I love the Barenaked Ladies (couldn’t live without them), but a few of my other favorites include Our Lady Peace and the Tragically Hip. Again, went blank on some others, but you get the idea.
And the Number One Reason Why I Love Canada…
1. Ches!!!! Had to import my husband from Calgary, and it was well worth it. I have the best husband ever (even when I can’t stand him!).